I-70 Westbound Peak Period Shoulder Lane (PPSL)
The general-purpose lanes and shoulder of westbound I-70 from Empire Junction to east of Idaho Springs are being reconstructed and widened in select locations on the existing alignment to accommodate a lane on the shoulder for use during peak travel periods. Drainage enhancements include a storm system for minor and major storm events and water quality facilities. At State Highway 103, I-70 is slightly realigned to enhance safety and improve drainage.
Two lanes remain open and free to all travelers at all times. During non-peak travel periods, the PPSL is closed to traffic and functions as an extra-wide shoulder. Similar to the eastbound I-70 Mountain Express Lane, the westbound PPSL uses transponders and license plate tolling. Pricing is adjusted to achieve the desired lane use and provide drivers with a reliable travel time option through the corridor during peak periods. The operational days and times coincide with peak travel periods on weekends and holidays.
Other important areas of construction include ramp improvements at CO 103 (Idaho Springs), rock fall mitigation at five locations, fiber optics upgrades, and reconstruction and re-alignment to reduce merge conflicts between trucks and traffic in the acceleration lanes at the Dumont port-of-entry.
- Inspection of traffic management features including variable speed limits and demand-based adjustable tolls
- Inspection of tolling and electrical
- Inspection of drainage and water quality
Inspection of full depth embankment for roadway prism
- Inspection of overlay of new hot mix asphalt driving surface
- Inspection of rotomiling and resurfacing
- Inspection of guardrails
- Inspection of rockfall mitigation
- Inspection of retaining wall construction
- Oversight of materials testing
- Oversight of Public Involvement Plan
Construction Engineering & Inspection
CEI – Highways & Local Roads
CEI – Turnpike & Toll Roads
CPM Schedule Review
|Location||Clear Creek County, CO|
Douglas D. Geiger, PE
Transportation Construction Management