Albert J. Ellis Airport
As the general consultant for Albert J. Ellis Airport in Jacksonville, North Carolina, RS&H provides architectural, engineering, environmental, and planning services. The airport, operated by the Onslow County Board of Commissioners, serves as a vital commercial service link to the Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune.
Over the years, RS&H has helped the airport with several projects, including updating the master plan, rehabilitating the only runway, and designing the new terminal airside/landside site. While the new terminal program was under development, RS&H was retained to provide design services to update the site program to accommodate the new terminal design. All site upgrades were required to accommodate future expansion and development of general aviation, hangars, FAA air traffic control tower, fuel farm, and rental car facilities.
The airside/landside site design included:
• Commercial aircraft apron expansion
• Replacement of parking revenue control system
• Rehabilitation, expansion, and reconfiguration of existing terminal auto parking lot,
including entrance/exit drives
• New entrance road and site lighting with LED fixtures
• Rehabilitation of auto parking lot lighting
• Reconfiguration of airport loop road
• New taxiway LED lighting and signage
• Stormwater master plan
• Utilities master plan
• Land acquisition
• Rehabilitation of general aviation access roads
North Carolina’s WITN reported that the public is anticipating the new, 58,000-square-foot terminal building at the airport.