US Route 460 Connector Phase I Design-Build
RS&H is providing design-build oversight, construction engineering and inspection (CEI), owner independent verification (IV), and independent assurance (IA) inspection as the Owner’s Representative for the US Route 460 Connector Phase I Design-Build project connecting the Kentucky state line across the Virginia border. When completed, the high-profile project will feature the tallest bridges in Virginia reaching 250-feet over Grassy Creek through the Appalachian Mountains.
The twin, high-level Grassy Creek bridges will be 1,733 feet in length with a total of six spans each supported by five H-shaped concrete columns. The foundations for the structures consist of a combination of pre-bored H-piles, spread footers, and micro-piles. Four of the spans will be built using the balanced cantilever cast-in-place segmental construction method with two main spans of 489 feet and the boxes varying from 31 feet to 12.5 feet in depth. The end spans will utilize 78-inch modified bulb-T beams.
Additionally, the project includes a four-lane divided highway and an access ramp to Route 80, improving access to Breaks Interstate Park. The access ramp to Route 80 also includes the construction of a bridge crossing Hunts Creek and Route 768. Also included are secondary connections to Routes 609 and 693 from Route 80.
Independent assurance and verification inspection include:
- All reinforcing steel, post-tensioning duct and anchors and concrete placements during superstructure cast-in-place segmental construction operations
- Superstructure segment geometry control
- Foundation construction
- Reinforcing steel, concrete placement of bridge piers
- Post-tensioning and grouting of tendons
- Assisting VDOT with a Post Tensioning Specification revision
- All bridge utility systems, including bridge drainage and lighting
- Over 3.1 million cubic yards of excavation
- Asphalt spread rates and roadway cross slopes
- Drainage structure installation and grade
- Erosion and sediment control plan and procedures
- Maintenance of traffic plan and implementation
- Blasting plan and operations
Construction Engineering & Inspection
|Client||Virginia Department of Transportation|
|Owner||Pasco County and Florida Department of Transportation, District Seven|
Douglas D. Geiger, PE