Training Support Center Design, Fort Sam Houston, TX
RS&H served as the Designer of Record for the Training Support Center (TSC), a facility that will be used to fabricate, maintain, store, and issue training devices, including the Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System (MILES). The facility was sized to support the more than average of 5,000 components associated with a standard Brigade MILES Set. The TSC is composed of five main types of functional areas:
- Training space (classrooms)
- General administrative spaces (customer waiting area, administration offices, device maintenance and repair area)
- Warehousing and storage (shipping/receiving loading dock, device fabrication, warehouse/storage area)
- Special functional use areas (latrines, student/staff break areas, secure operations storage, retail device storage)
- Support spaces (janitor closet, mechanical/electrical space)
The facility includes a simulations center with high STC sound isolation for the weapons simulation. BIM was utilized for the design, which facilitated coordination and communication during the Design-Build process.
The building is LEED Silver certifiable, as directed by USACE. The design achieved in excess of 50-percent energy savings over ASHRAE 2007 through the use of an efficient HVAC system, high efficiency heating water system, a well-insulated and tight building envelope, and the application of renewable energy systems. The exterior entrance walkway is provided with solar powered bollard lighting and roof-mounted solar photovoltaic panels provide approximately 36kW of solar generated power to offset the building’s power usage.